Dear OASNP member,
Many members working with Special Needs students report that the professional development offered in their districts is not always relevant to their needs. In response to these concerns, OASNP plans to assemble an ad hoc committee of interested members to develop a framework to see how we can assist locals in accessing more appropriate offerings.
Should we encourage locals to look within and find “experts” in their own ranks? Have locals consider pairing up to share information from members with expertise? Develop a bank of members who can and are willing to provide professional development to other locals and at district and state conferences? How can we best reach out to locals to see what they think and need?
Members who volunteer will make recommendations to the OASNP Executive Committee about how best to proceed with this endeavor.
Committee members can decide whether to meet via Zoom or in person. If in person, mileage and meals will be covered by OASNP.
If you are interested in being part of this effort, please contact Nikki Nadasky, Acting Chairperson, at 330-718-3827.
OASNP Special Education Conference 2023
“Celebrate Back Together”
Thank you to members who were able to attend.
Handouts from the Conference
Register Now! – February 24-25, 2023
Check in 5:00 pm Friday – Close 3:30 pm Saturday
Mohican State Park Lodge and Conference Center
4700 Goon Road, Perrysville, OH 44864.
Schedule and Registration Information on our
OASNP 2023 Annual Special Education Conference page.
- The theme for this year is “Celebrate Back Together”.
- We will be back to our popular format, including legal and legislative updates and a featured session supporting Mental Health of students and OEA members involved in Special Education, including ESPs.
- The content of the conference will appeal to Special Education staff, including ESPs, in Pre-K-12 Districts and County Boards of DD. Conference is open to all OEA Members.
- Our Friday evening Networking Happy Hour theme will be Mardi Gras.
- The conference will include the OASNP Annual Meeting.
- Certificates of attendance will be issued at the conclusion of the conference.
- Check out information about Past Conferences.
- Each year at the end of February, the OASNP Special Education Conference is put on by OASNP with additional support from OEA.
- NEOEA – OASNP Conference Scholarship – https://neoea.org/files/OASNP_Scholarship.pdf
- Check with your OEA District Association and your Local Association for other scholarships.
- Bring ideas for OASNP Local Public Relations Grants of up to $250.
- Experienced members will be available to help you fill out the application.
- See the Local Grant page for sample grants that might work in your local.
OASNP is a department within OEA advocating for the needs of Pre-K-12 Special Educators and Education Support Staff as they provide services for students with special needs in our local schools.
As a department of the Ohio Education Association, OASNP provides the following services to members:
- Advocacy for OEA members serving individuals with special needs.
- OASNP appoints members to each of the OEA Standing Committees to assure that the voice of special needs educators are heard.
- Annual Special Education Conference with current topics, professional and legal updates, and networking opportunities.
- Assistance with Local Professional Development Programs.
- Assistance with Local Contract Language addressing Special Education issues.
- Local Public Relations Grant program of up to $250 for locals.
- Delegate Caucus at the OEA Representative Assemblies.
- Email Bulletins and a quarterly newsletter – The OASNP Newsline.
- Facebook group for OASNP members: facebook.com/groups/OASNP/
- Monitoring of legislation that affects OASNP members.
- Executive Board meetings throughout the year.
- Regional meetings and a Subcommittee structure.
- Expense support for OASNP leadership to represent your interests to OEA leadership.
- OASNP Landing Page on OEA website
- OASNP Online Enrollment Page
- Your Membership Application will be forwarded to your Local Association Treasurer so your $10 OASNP dues can be added to your OEA dues for next year.
- We will add you to our membership list immediately.
Download the Fall 2022 Newsline.
In this issue:
- Chairperson Message
- OASNP Annual Conference – Member Forum at OEA Summer Academy
- Membership Information
- Meeting Schedule
- Officer Election
- Local Focus – Newton Falls ACE
Conference notes of OASNP member forum at the OEA Leadership Academy
Friday, June 17, 1:00– 2:30 PM – Sheraton Columbus Hotel at Capitol Square
Download: OASNP Conference Notes; Flipchart Sheets
We were able to reschedule the conference for immediately at the conclusion of the OEA Leadership Academy on Friday, June 17, 1:00 – 3:00 PM
Sheraton Columbus Hotel at Capitol Square
75 East State Street Columbus Ohio 43215 USA
in the “Congressional Room”
This is a drive-in meeting – You DO NOT need to attend the OEA Academy.
“Teamwork Makes the Dream Work”
An open forum brainstorming session:
- special education personnel discussing
- working across job descriptions
- utilizing community resources
- encouraging parent involvement
General Membership Meeting
We will hold an Election of Officers for our Executive Board.
- Chairperson, Vice-Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer
- Six – At-Large Representatives
Two-year terms – beginning immediately.
Download flyer: Conference Flyer 2022
Christina West – email@example.com – 330-540-5959
Nikki Nadasky – firstname.lastname@example.org – 330-718-3827
Contact us at email@example.com with your questions.
The election of OASNP Officers and At-Large Representatives was held at the Annual General Membership Meeting during the Annual Conference on June 17, 2022 at Sheraton Columbus Hotel at Capitol Square following the OEA Leadership Academy.
Congratulations to the following who were elected by acclimation:
- Chairperson Christina West, PCEMR-SSA (Portage CBDD)
- Vice Chair Nikki Nadasky, PCEMR-SSA (Portage CBDD)
- Secretary Kathy Abrahamson, Newton Falls ACE
- Treasurer Sandy Smith Fischer, Streetsboro EA
- At-Large #1 Marchell Josie, East Cleveland EA
- At-Large #2 Debbie VanGorder, Ashtabula ACSE
- At-Large #3 Kendall Newell, West Carrollton EA
- At-Large #4 Jovita Wade, Fairborn EA
- At-Large #5 Cindy Negulescu, Reynoldsburg SSA
- At-Large #6 Vacant
Visit the OEA Fall RA Online Exhibitor Marketplace to see our page.
OASNP Delegate Luncheon and Caucus
During the 2nd Half of Lunch/Voting Break –Room A124.
OASNP members and any OEA delegates involved in special education are invited.
Join OASNP – Add just $10 to your annual OEA Dues with our online form
Your Membership Application will be forwarded to your local Association Treasurer so your $10 OASNP dues can be added to your OEA dues for next year.
We will add you to our membership list immediately.
Website: OASNP.org – https://oasnp.ohea.us/
Facebook group for OASNP – facebook.com/groups/OASNP/
Landing Page on OEA website – https://www.ohea.org/join-oasnp/
OASNP ANNUAL CONFERENCE 2021
We Can Do Anything – Virtually!
OASNP 2021 Conference Docs and Links
The Ohio Association of Special Needs Professionals
- Annual Special Education Conference will be Saturday, February 27, 2021, on Zoom at 9:00 AM
- Join us for a Virtual Happy Hour
- Friday, February 26, 2021, 7:00-8:00
- The content of the conference will appeal to all OEA members involved in Special Education in Pre-K-12 Local Districts as well as County Boards of DD.
- Certificates of attendance will be sent at the conclusion of the conference.
- Register in advance for Friday and/or Saturday:
- The Conference Registration Link has been sent to all OASNP members. Please check your email or US Mail.
- Registration is required with no cost for OASNP members.
- Not yet a member? Download an OASNP Continuing Membership form, just add $10 to your OEA annual dues.
New Format – Same great information
Friday, February 26, 2021
- 7:00 – 8:00 Virtual Happy Hour
Saturday, February 27, 2021 – UPDATED
- 9:00 Welcome, Greetings, & Updates – Christina West, OASNP Chairperson
- 9:15 Listening Circle: Common Issues –
- Daria DeNoia, UniServ Education Policy & Practice Consultant
- 10:00 Kick-off FCPE Drive –
- Isabel Bozada-Jones, Political Advocacy Consultant
- 10:15 Legal Update – Kathy McKinley, OEA Plan Attorney
- 11:45 Legislative Update – Melissa Clark, OEA Lobbyist
- 12:45 Collaboration in Transition Planning –
- Sue Beck, Ohio Center for Autism & Low Incidence (OCALI)
- 2:00 OASNP Annual Meeting
- 2:45 Wrap-up – Stay-to-the-End Raffle
Christina West – firstname.lastname@example.org – 330-540-5959
Nikki Nadasky – email@example.com – 330-718-3827
Questions? Try our Contact Us page.
Download the OASNP Registration 2021 flyer.
OASNP Virtual Delegate Luncheon, immediately following the OEA RA on December 5.
NEOEA and other Districts will be holding Stay to the End Raffles at the end of the OEA RA (about 12:30-1:00).
The OASNP Zoom will open at the end of the OEA RA and people can join when their District events are over.
OASNP members and delegates involved in special education are invited.
Email OASNP@OASNP.org to receive the Zoom link.
The OASNP Executive Board is pleased to present their OASNP Issues Report, July 2020. It is the culmination of work begun in April by the OASNP Executive Board and OASNP members serving on OEA Standing Committees. OASNP has prepared this report to inform the OEA Officers and Board of Directors of issues identified by OEA members associated with our group. Concerns fell into four broad areas: Classroom/Worksite Issues, Workload/Caseload, Professional Development, and Student/Adult Client Behavior.
The report is the result of concerns expressed at our annual special education conferences, surveys of the attendees and other members, and surveys of delegates at OEA and District Representative Assemblies in Spring 2016, Fall 2016, and Spring 2017. Those concerns lead to the Fall 2017 OEA RA passing a NBI to ”Create an OEA Special Education Work Group to develop recommendations for professional development programs, sample contract language, OEA Resolutions, and OEA Legislative Policies that would address the needs of OEA members involved in or supporting education programs for students with special needs.”
The issues identified in this report are perennial concerns of OEA members working with students and adults with special needs. They were expressed by members working at county boards of DD as far back as 1983 when the forerunner of OASNP was formed. Now with county board programs being eliminated or downsized, students served by those programs have been transferred to their local school districts. However, the problems of appropriately serving those students have followed them to their local schools, but without the funding. Estimates are that some 15% of OEA members are directly involved in serving students with special needs. Virtually every staff member of every local district is indirectly affected. Additionally, significant numbers of OEA members continue to do the work of serving Children and adults with special needs in county boards of developmental disabilities facilities and in the community.
Please share with your colleagues and submit any questions or comments to OASNP on our Contact Us page or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download OASNP Issues Report July 2020