OADDP has changed its name to OASNP. We have expanded our scope to advocate for the needs of Pre-K-12 Special Educators and Support Staff as they provide services for students with special needs in our local schools.
OEA members in all settings, especially the roughly 15% that identify as working in special education, report they face critical challenges obtaining and providing additional supports and accommodations for students with special needs to be successful.
The overwhelming concern is for more professional development for teachers, paraprofessionals, and support staff—especially in the areas of appropriate IEPs and classroom/behavior management.
Critically important are the issues of staffing, case load, and planning time. Members state that they are stretched too thinly to adequately meet the needs of their students. Local contract language needs to be reviewed. Sample contract language is needed.
Now with the challenges of dealing with Covid-19, the health and safety of staff and students is the immediate consideration.
Furthermore, the OEA Resolutions and Legislative Policies should be reviewed to assure that they adequately address the needs of members involved with special education.
The Mission of the OASNP is to advance the growth of the education and habilitation of individuals with special needs and to provide a collective voice for the professional, paraprofessional, and support staff working with persons with special needs. OASNP Strategic Goals promote high standards for staff, provider organizations, and services provided while assuring the viability of County Boards of DD as a service option. The OASNP will reach out to OEA Special Educators and Support Staff in Pre-K-12 Locals who serve students with special needs.
As a department of the Ohio Education Association, OASNP provides the following services to members:
- Advocacy for OEA members serving individuals with special needs.
- OASNP appoints members to each of the OEA Standing Committees to assure that the voice of special needs educators are heard.
- Annual Special Education Conference with current topics, professional, and legal updates.
- Assistance with Local Professional Development Programs
- A Public Relations Grant program of up to $250 for locals
- Delegate Luncheon at the OEA Representative Assemblies
- A quarterly newsletter – The OASNP Newsline.
- Monitoring of legislation that affects OASNP members.
- Executive Board meetings six times per year
- A comprehensive committee structure
- Facebook group for OASNP members
NEW – OASNP Landing Page on OEA website
- Your Membership Application will be forwarded to your local Association Treasurer so your $10 OASNP dues can be added to your OEA dues for next year.
We will add you to our membership list immediately.
- OASNP Online Membership Flyer – Add OASNP to your OEA Continuing Membership for $10
- OASNP Issues Report July 2020 – Concerns of members serving individuals with special needs
- Constitution & Bylaws (2020-02-29) – Amended February 29, 2020
- C & B Amendments (2020-02-29) – C & B Amendments
- OASNP Brochure-2020-03 – Brochure for members and prospective members
- OEA SpecEd WG – Flyer describing OEA Special Education Work Group
- OASNP Power Point – PowerPoint presentation for locals
- Mission-Goals-Actions-2018 – including Actions for Locals and Members